Notice: System maintenance will be performed on Saturday, September 30, 2023, from 5:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. MST

Some or all areas of the website may be unavailable during this maintenance period.

Deferred Traffic Prosecution

Page Menu

Do you want to have your traffic citation dismissed?

If it was issued no more than 21 days ago, your case may be eligible for Deferred Traffic Prosecution

You can access Deferred Traffic Prosecution through MyCase - it only works with these browsers:

  • Chrome
  • Edge
  • Firefox
  • Safari 



What is Deferred Traffic Prosecution?

  • It's an option to have your traffic citation dismissed from your driving record
  • You can apply online by answering questions in a guided interview
  • You'll pay a total fine and an administrative fee (the total fine is the same as it would be if you appeared in court)
  • You'll enter a plea and agree to not get a traffic conviction in a 12-month period
  • The process is totally voluntary

You can choose not to participate in Deferred Traffic Prosecution. Instead, you would go through the normal processes. That would involve either paying a fine or going to court on your court date to challenge the ticket

What do you have to do?

  1. ​Login or create a MyCase account to determine your eligibility​
  2. Plead "no contest" to all offenses on the eligible citation ("no contest" means you don't want to contest — or challenge — the citation)​
  3. Pay an administration fee and a total fine for the offenses on the eligible citation in full today or within two weeks of your application
  4. Have no new traffic convictions in the 12-month period following your application
Successful completion:Unsuccessful completion: 
  • Your "No Contest" plea is automatically withdrawn at the end of the 12-month period
  • Your case will be dismissed
  • The administration fee and fine are non-refundable
  • You received a new traffic offense during the 12-month period
  • "No Contest" plea will be AUTOMATICALLY entered as a conviction on your driving record and you will NOT have an opportunity to appear in court
  • Your case will be closed without any further court-imposed consequence
  • The administration fee and fine are non-refundable


Are you eligible?

When you try to sign up for Deferred Traffic Prosecution the system will check to see if you qualify based on the criteria below:
  • You need an eligible traffic citation received within the last 21 days
    • You can log into MyCase to find out if your traffic citation is eligible
    • Your citation must be for a moving traffic infraction under Utah Code Title 41, Chapter 6a or a local traffic ordinance that is an infraction
  • You need to be 21 or older
  • You need to have a valid Utah driver's license (commercial licenses aren't eligible)
  • You can't have any convictions for any of the following within the last 24 months: 
    • a felony traffic violation 
    • a violation of Utah Code Title 41, Chapter 6a that was a class B misdemeanor, a class C misdemeanor, or an infraction
    • a violation of a local traffic ordinance
  • You can't be charged with two or more moving traffic infractions related to the same episode
  • You can't be charged with one or more traffic infractions if none of the traffic infractions are moving traffic violations
  • Your infraction can't involve a traffic accident
  • You don't qualify if you were charged with speeding 20 miles per hour or more above the posted speed limit
  • You can't already be participating in Deferred Traffic Prosecution

Utah Code 77-2-4.2

What if the system tells me I'm not eligible?

Deferred Traffic Prosecution is not the only way to resolve your traffic citation. If the system says you aren't eligible you can still:

  • Pay the full fine amount, which means you admit that you committed the offense in the citation. See our page on Traffic Offenses for more information
  • Dispute your citation by appearing in court, pleading "not guilty," and either trying to negotiate with the prosecutor or going to trial to challenge the charges