Request a Court Interpreter

How to request a court interpreter

If English is not your primary language and you are unable to understand or communicate in English, the court will appoint an interpreter for you for all court hearings. You must request a court interpreter at least 3 days before the hearing, or the hearing may have to be postponed. To request a court interpreter, call the court that is holding the hearing or file a Request a Court Interpreter form with that court.


What is the court interpreter’s job?

A court interpreter is a person who interprets orally from English to another language and vice versa in a court hearing. Interpreters also translate written documents. Court interpreters do not interpret or translate outside of legal proceedings. If you need an interpreter outside of the legal proceedings, you may hire one.

The interpreter's job is to give a complete and accurate interpretation or translation, without changing, omitting, or adding anything to what is said or written. In essence, the interpreter serves as a two-way bridge between those who speak English and those who do not. It is not the interpreter's job to explain what is being said. It is not the interpreter's job to give advice or counsel or to provide services other than interpreting from one language to another.



  • 1150XX
  • 1151XX
  • 1152XX
  • 1153XX
  • 1154XX