Utah Office of Guardian ad Litem
- Current Private Attorneys Guardian ad Litem (PGAL) Roster - PDF
Private Attorney Guardian ad Litem Online Application and Training Program
This application and training program is for Utah attorneys who are applying to become eligible as Private Attorney Guardians ad Litem (PGAL) to represent children in district court cases pursuant to UCA Sec. 78A-2-705 and to receive case-assignments from the Utah Office of Guardian ad Litem (the "Office"). Because children are involved, it is necessary for the Office to screen applicants who demonstrate the requisite ability and proficiency to represent them in District court proceedings.
First, print and fill out the application form. While completing the form, take note of the items that must be completed. When you have completed these requirements, mail in your application and contact Kathryn Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for an in-person training program.
If you have any questions or problems with the online application or training process, please contact the Office at email@example.com or (801) 578-3902. Thank you for your interest in representing children in District Court!
- Schoolcraft - Case Law - PDF
- 78A-2-705 (Effective 5/13/2014). Private attorney guardian ad litem -- Appointment -- Costs and fees -- Duties -- Conflicts of interest -- Pro bono obligation -- Indemnification -- Minimum qualifications.
- Rule 4-906. Guardian ad litem program. - PDF
- 78B-7-202 (Effective 07/01/13). Petition -- Ex parte determination -- Guardian ad litem -- Referral to division. - PDF
- 30-3-5.2 (Effective 07/01/13). Allegations of child abuse or child sexual abuse -- Investigation. - PDF
- 62A-4a-403. Reporting requirements. - PDF
- Rule 4-509. Court-appointed parent coordinator. - PDF
- Rule 4-903. Uniform custody evaluations. - PDF
- Child Development and Parents Who Do Not Live Together - PDF
- Do's and Don'ts of PGAL - Video and Quiz
- Suggestions for Talking with Children - Video and Quiz | PDF
What's Going on with this Family?!
- Effective Therapy for Parents and Children in Custody Cases - Video and Quiz
- Effective Therapy for Parents and Children in Custody Cases Handout - PDF
Additional Forms and Pleadings
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.