Finding Legal Help
You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help.
Como encontrar ayuda legal
Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.
Utah Office of Guardian ad Litem
- Current Private Attorneys Guardian ad Litem (PGAL) Roster - PDF
Private Attorney Guardian ad Litem Online Application and Training Program
This application and training program is for Utah attorneys who are applying to become eligible as Private Attorney Guardians ad Litem (PGAL) to represent children in district court cases pursuant to UCA Sec. 78A-2-705 and to receive case-assignments from the Utah Office of Guardian ad Litem (the "Office"). Because children are involved, it is necessary for the Office to screen applicants who demonstrate the requisite ability and proficiency to represent them in District court proceedings.
First, print and fill out the application form. While completing the form, take note of the items that must be completed. When you have completed these requirements, mail in your application and contact Kathryn Morris at email@example.com to register for an in-person training program.
If you have any questions or problems with the online application or training process, please contact the Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (801) 578-3902. Thank you for your interest in representing children in District Court!
- Schoolcraft - Case Law - PDF
- 78A-2-705. Private attorney guardian ad litem -- Appointment -- Costs and fees -- Duties -- Conflicts of interest -- Pro bono obligation -- Indemnification -- Minimum qualifications. (Effective 5/13/2014)
- Rule 4-906. Guardian ad litem program. (uploaded 10/31/14)
- 78B-7-202. Petition -- Ex parte determination -- Guardian ad litem -- Referral to division. (Effective 07/01/13)
- 30-3-5.2. Allegations of child abuse or child sexual abuse -- Investigation. (Effective 07/01/13)
- 62A-4a-403. Reporting requirements. (Effective 05/08/18)
- Rule 4-509. Court-appointed parent coordinator. - PDF
- Rule 4-903. Uniform custody evaluations. (uploaded 01/31/16)
- Child Development and Parents Who Do Not Live Together - PDF
- Child Suggestibility - Video and Quiz
- Do's and Don'ts of PGAL - Video and Quiz
- Outside of the Comfort Zone: Implementing Self-Care as a Larger Concept - Video and Quiz
- Protective Orders and the PGAL Case - Video
- Say What? Hearsay and the GAL Role - Video
- Suggestions for Talking with Children - Video and Quiz | PDF
What's Going on with this Family?!
- Effective Therapy for Parents and Children in Custody Cases - Video and Quiz
- Effective Therapy for Parents and Children in Custody Cases Handout - PDF
Additional Forms and Pleadings
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.