Getting a Lawyer

Legal Advice

There are two legal organizations in Utah that will help you petition for a protective order or modify the protective order you have. These organizations provide free legal services. It will not cost you any money to have these lawyers assist you.

Utah Legal Services

An attorney from Utah Legal Services may represent you at your Protective Order hearing. Utah Legal Services has offices statewide, and will represent people from any county. If you would like assistance from Utah Legal Services, call their Salt Lake City Office between the hours of 9.00 a.m. and 2.00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

  • If you live in Salt Lake City, call 801-328-8891.
  • If you live anywhere else in Utah, call toll-free 800-662-4245.

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake

If you live in Salt Lake County the Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake may help you prepare a Protective Order petition to file with the Court. If you file a petition with the assistance of Legal Aid, an attorney will represent you at your Protective Order hearing.

Legal Aid may also assist you if you are a petitioner who wants to modify or dissolve an existing Protective Order.

To receive assistance from the Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake, go to their office from 9.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The address is:

Scott Matheson Courthouse
Room W17
450 S. State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Phone: 801-328-8849

Other Services

There are several organizations in Utah that provide an opportunity each week or each month for you to speak with an attorney for approximately one hour. There is no charge for this consultation, it is a free service. If you are a Respondent to a Protective Order or Civil Stalking Injunction, or if you want legal advice on any other legal issue, click here for information about free legal services in your area.