Follow these guidelines when emailing documents to begin the process of opening a new case.
Your email must include the following:
- A subject line that says "New filing for ____ (your name)"
- Your contact information in your email, including the best way to contact you, such as your phone number or email address.
- Attached case initiating documents. Usually this is just a complaint or petition and a civil coversheet, but could include other documents, depending on your case type.
- Please submit only black and white documents
There may be a filing fee to open a new case. If you must pay a fee the court will contact you with instructions on how to pay. If you do not pay your case could be dismissed. If you cannot afford the fee you can request a fee waiver.
Make sure your documents are:
- Filled out completely
- Type your name in the signature line, swearing the information in your form is true
- Filled out clearly so court staff can read them, if you are filling out the forms by hand, please use a pen and not pencil so the court can read your papers
- Filled out in English
- If you speak another language and need help, contact the Self-Help Center
- Scanned in PDF format clearly so the entire page can be read
- If you are using a smartphone, you can use an app that will let you take pictures with your phone of each page of your documents and convert them to PDFs. Please be sure to include every page of your document
- If you have problems making a PDF review these tips on how to scan documents from your phone or tablet or contact your local court.
Remember to serve other parties in the case copies of all documents you send to the court.