Finding Legal Help
You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help.
Como encontrar ayuda legal
Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.
Self-Help Resources / Housing
Eviction and Landlord-Tenant
- Eviction | Flowchart of the eviction process - PDF
- Abandoned premises
- Refunding renters' deposits
- Tenants personal property
The Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP) helps you to create forms to file with the court by answering questions in an online interview.
- Domestic Relations (such as divorce, custody, and support)
- Enforcing Domestic Orders
- Guardian and Conservatorship (for minors and adults)
- Protective/Stalking Orders
- Landlords and Tenants
- Small Claims
The Utah State Courts' Self-Help Center (SHC) provides free legal help to people who do not have a lawyer.
The SHC provides information to help you understand your rights and responsibilities, and to help you resolve your legal problems on your own if you cannot afford an attorney or if you choose not to hire one.
Self-Help Center staff attorneys can:
- answer questions about the law, court process and options
- provide court forms and instructions and help completing forms
- provide information about your case
- provide information about mediation services, legal advice and representation through pro bono and low cost legal services, legal aid programs and lawyer referral services
- provide information about resources provided by law libraries
A Few Cautions
- The SHC cannot give you legal advice or represent you in court.
- The SHC attorney is not your lawyer.
Getting legal advice
Legal clinics give general legal information and brief legal advice. You can also get help with forms, and ask questions about the law. Most legal clinics handle civil law matters only.
Finding what you're looking for
If you are having problems finding what you are looking for, you can send an email to the Web Navigator. You will receive a response within an hour if the Web Navigator is available.
The Navigator is In
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.