Finding Legal Help
You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help.
Como encontrar ayuda legal
Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.
Guardianship and Conservatorship Pre-appointment Tests
Test for Appointment
In order to be appointed as a guardian or conservator, you must teach yourself about the responsibilities of a guardian or conservator and tell the court you understand those responsibilities. Here's how you do that.
- First, read Basic Guidelines for Court-Appointed Guardians and Conservators.
- Then, take the appropriate examination below to make sure that you have understood the Guidelines.
- Finally, print out the Declaration of Completion of Testing, sign it and file it with the court.
The exam is designed to help you understand your duties and powers. If you answer a question incorrectly, please read the correct answer and refer back to the Guidelines for more information.
NOTE: The court does not require you to complete an exam and file the Declaration of Completion of Testing if
- you are a professional guardian or conservator,
- you are a parent appointed as guardian or conservator for your child, or
- if the guardianship you seek is limited to the purpose of a minor attending school.
There are different exams for guardians and conservators. To find the right exam, select the description that applies to you. Be sure to complete the Declaration of Completion of Testing at the end of the exam and file it with the court so the appointment process can proceed.
- Use the Online Court Assistance Program (OCAP) to take the test and to prepare the forms you need to file.
Take the appropriate exam below and fill out the Declaration of Completion of Testing:
- Guardian Who is Also a Conservator - PDF
- Guardian with Separate Conservator -
(somebody else will be the conservator)
- Guardian with No Conservator -
(there will be no conservator)
- Conservator only - PDF
- Use OCAP, the Online Court Assistance Program, to take the test, and OCAP will prepare the required forms suitable for filing
- Declaration of Completion of Testing - PDF
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.