Utah Courts



Find important information on what to do about your case and where to find help on our Alerts and Information Page due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

En nuestra página Información y alertas encontrará información importante sobre qué hacer en cuanto a su caso y dónde encontrar ayuda debido al impacto del brote de COVID-19.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.


Marriage Licenses

To get married in Utah, you need to apply for a marriage license and have the marriage solemnized. You can apply for a marriage license at any county clerk's office. Visit the Utah City and County page on the state's website for links to local government pages, and look for a link that says something like County Clerk. Check with the county clerk's office where you intend to get the marriage license for any specific requirements.

There is no waiting period before you can get married. As soon as you get your license, you can get married. However, the license is only valid for 32 days. If you do not have the marriage solemnized within that time, the license will expire.

You will need the following to apply for a marriage license:

  • An in-person application with both applicants present at the time of application.
  • Full names, addresses and dates and places of birth of both applicants.
  • Social security numbers of both applicants, unless an applicant doesn't have a social security number.
  • Names and birth places of the parents of both applicants , including mother's maiden name.
  • Valid picture ID such as a passport, birth certificate, driver license, or state ID card.

A license fee - this is charged in most counties, which includes two certified copies of the license. Note: Some counties do not charge a fee for the license, but do charge for the certified copies.

Who May Solemnize a Marriage

A minister, rabbi, priest, county clerk, Native American spiritual adviser, the governor, mayors, court commissioners and judges, as well as particular members of the legislature may perform wedding ceremonies. Two witnesses over 18 must also be present at the wedding ceremony.

The person who solemnizes the marriage must sign a certificate of marriage and files the certificate and the marriage license with the county clerk who issued the license.

Utah Code §30-1-6

Marriage of a Minor

A marriage involving a minor has additional requirements. You must be at least 16 years old to be married in Utah. If you are 18 or older, you do not need consent of a parent or guardian to get married.

If you are 16 or 17, you need signed consent from a parent or guardian, which must be given in-person to the county clerk before a marriage license will be issued.

  • You will also need to apply for approval of the marriage in juvenile court. The juvenile court must approve the marriage, and must conclude that the marriage is voluntary and in your best interests.
  • The juvenile court may require premarital counseling.
  • The juvenile court may impose other conditions, such as requiring you to continue to attend school.
  • The juvenile court may not approve the marriage if the age difference between the parties to the marriage is more than seven years.

If you are under 18 but you have been married before, you do not need consent a second time.

Utah Code §30-1-9

Marriage Between Relatives

You cannot marry your first cousin, or anyone related more closely than a first cousin, such as an aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, parent or child, brother or sister.

However, first cousins can marry if both are over 65, or, if both parties are over 55, if the court finds that they are unable to reproduce.

Utah Code §30-1-1

Void Marriages

The following marriages are void in Utah:

  • When one party is married to someone else.
  • When a party is a minor (under 18 years old), with the exception that if the party is 16 or 17 years old and consent has been given and juvenile court authorization has been obtained, or, if at the time of the marriage, the marriage was lawful.
  • When the parties have a divorce case in the court but the decree of divorce is not final..

Utah Code §30-1-2


Information about annulling a marriage is available on the court's Annulment page.

Marriage Records

To get a record of a marriage that took place in Utah in 1978 or later, contact the Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics.

For marriages that took place in Utah before 1978, contact the clerk's office where the marriage took place for records information.

Information about researching very old marriage records is provided on the Utah History Research Center's Marriage Records page.

For marriages that took in place in states other than Utah, consult the Where to Write for Vital Records page for contact information.


  • Petition and Application for Authorization to Marry - PDF | Word
  • Findings and Order on Petition for Authorization to Marry - PDF | Word

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 11/16/2021
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×