Utah Courts



The Utah Judiciary is committed to the open, fair, and efficient administration of justice under the law. Find important information on what to do about your case and where to find help on our Alerts and Information Page due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

El poder judicial de Utah está comprometido a la administración de justicia de una manera abierta, justa y eficiente bajo la ley. En nuestra página Información y alertas encontrará información importante sobre qué hacer en cuanto a su caso y dónde encontrar ayuda debido al impacto del brote de COVID-19.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

Objecting to a Commissioner's Recommendation

Objecting to a commissioner's recommendation

If a party in a case disagrees with a commissioner's recommendation they can file an Objection to Commissioner's Recommendation under Utah Rule of Civil Procedure 108.

Either party can file the objection, but they must do so within 14 days of the commissioner's recommendation.


In Judicial Districts 1, 2, 3 and 4, commissioners hear most matters in divorce, custody and other kinds of family law cases. A commissioner is a judicial officer who has the authority to review paperwork, hold hearings, gather evidence, and conduct settlement and pretrial conferences. They can also make recommendations to a judge, recommend sanctions and enter orders. A commissioner's recommendation is the order of the court unless or until it is modified by a judge.

Sometimes a commissioner will read aloud their recommendation at a hearing (in "open court"). Sometimes a commissioner may "take the matter under advisement" and issue a recommendation later.

Deadlines and process

There are deadlines for filing the objection.

If the commissioner…

The objection must be filed within…

If the commissioner…

Made the recommendation in open court

The objection must be filed within…

14 days of the hearing.

If the commissioner…

Took the matter under advisement and the court made a minute entry

The objection must be filed within…

14 days after the minute entry of the recommendation was served.

The objection should:

  • Clearly and briefly identify which part of the commissioner's recommendation the party disagrees with,
  • Explain why the recommendation should be changed, and
  • State what the party would like the recommendation to say instead.
  • The objection works like a motion, which means:
  • Some of the forms involved will say "motion," instead of "objection."
  • The objection is decided by a judge.
  • The judge will not rule on the objection unless one of the parties files a Request to Submit for Decision. The earliest this can be filed is 14 days after filing the objection, unless the other party stipulates to the objection.

This process is described in the Motions Decided by a Judge / Moving Party section of the Motions web page.

Responding to an objection

If the other party wants to respond to the Objection to Commissioner's Recommendation, they must file a Memorandum Opposing the Objection within 14 days after the objection is filed.

The process and timelines are described in the Opposing party section of the Motions web page.  

Substantial change of circumstances

The judge will not consider any new evidence (evidence that was not presented with the original motion papers, or at the hearing) as part of the objection unless there has been a "substantial change of circumstances" since the commissioner's recommendation.


Either party can ask for a hearing on the objection. If the hearing is about:

  • a protective order,
  • an order to show cause for enforcement of a judgment,
  • custody issues, or
  • Utah Code section 62A-15-601 et seq. (Utah State Hospital and Other Mental Health Facilities),

either party may ask to present testimony and other evidence on issues relevant to custody.

If the hearing is about other issues, the judge might allow testimony on those issues, but is not required to do so.

If a party does not request a hearing, the judge might hold a hearing anyway, or they might review the evidence that was presented to the commissioner and make a decision without a hearing. The judge can review what was presented at the hearing, whether the evidence was by proffer, testimony or exhibit.


Forms for the Objecting Party

Required forms for the objecting party
  • Objection to Commissioner's Recommendation and Memorandum - PDF | Word
  • Request to Submit for Decision - PDF | Word
    (In the first paragraph, change "Motion to ___" to "Objection to Commissioner's Recommendation and Memorandum")
Optional forms for the objecting party
  • Stipulation - PDF | Word
    (if the other party agrees to the Objection after it has been filed)
  • Reply Memorandum Supporting Motion - PDF | Word
    (if the other party has disagreed with the Objection and presented a new matter in their response, and the moving party wishes to respond)
  • Notice of Hearing - PDF | Word
    (if a hearing is requested)

Forms for the Opposing Party

Required forms for the opposing party
  • Memorandum Opposing Motion - PDF | Word
    (In the first paragraph, change "Motion to ___" to "Objection to Commissioner's Recommendation and Memorandum")
Optional forms for the opposing party
  • Stipulation - PDF | Word
    (if the opposing party agrees to the Objection after it has been filed)
  • Notice of Hearing - PDF | Word
    (if a hearing is requested)

Related Information

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 8/20/2019
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×