Utah Courts


Home Page
Previous Page

Modifying Parent-Time

Talk to an Attorney

The information on this page is not a substitute for legal advice. You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options.

See our Finding Legal Help page for information about ways to get legal help. One way to talk to an attorney is to visit a free legal clinic. Clinics provide general legal information and give brief legal advice. You might also hire an attorney for just part of your case or to do one particular thing, rather than represent you for the whole case. Legal help is also available at discounted rates for people with modest incomes.

Modifying an Order From Another State

An order from another country or another state is called a "foreign order." The first of several conditions that must be met for a Utah court to modify a foreign order is that the foreign order must be registered and confirmed as a judgment of Utah. For more information, see our webpage on Registering a Foreign Order.


The Utah court must have "jurisdiction" to modify parent-time. Jurisdiction can be very complex, especially if the controlling order was entered in a state other than Utah or the child or the parties reside in a state other than Utah. Before spending the time and money to modify child support in a Utah court, make sure that the Utah court, rather than the court of another state, has jurisdiction. For more information, see our chart outlining Jurisdiction to Modify a Custody or Parent-time Order (PDF Document PDF).

Best Interests of the Child

A parent-time order can be modified if it's in the best interests of the child to do so.

Default Judgment

A party who fails to answer or otherwise appear after being served with the petition and summons is in default and will lose. A judgment against a non-appearing party is called a default judgment. For more information and forms, see our webpage on Default Judgments.


Forms to Request that Parent-Time be Modified

Forms to Respond to Request that Parent-Time be Modified

Forms for Going to Trial

  • Checklist - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word
  • Certificate of Readiness for Trial - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word
  • Mediation Disposition Notice (This is not a court form, but it is required. Ask your mediator to complete it and file it.)
  • Proposed Settlement on Remaining Issues - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word
  • Pretrial Order - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word
  • Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law and Order - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word
  • Notice of Judgment - PDF Document PDF | Word Document Word

Related Information

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 5/19/2015
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×