Utah Courts


Home Page
Previous Page

Compensation for a Guardian or Conservator

Guardianship and Conservatorship Home Page

Often a family member serves as guardian or conservator without being paid to do it, but you are entitled to reasonable compensation from the protected person if the estate is able to afford it. Accurate records of your activities and the time necessary to do them are essential. For income tax purposes, your compensation from the protected person is treated as your income.

Compensation for a guardian must first be approved by the judge or by a separate conservator. Compensation for a conservator does not have to be approved by the judge unless required in the court order appointing the conservator. However, if you want the extra protection of having the amounts approved by an independent authority, you may want to ask the judge to approve the amounts.

Utah Code Section 75-5-312(3) and Section 75-5-414.

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 8/19/2014
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×