Utah Courts



The Utah Judiciary is committed to the open, fair, and efficient administration of justice under the law. Find important information on what to do about your case and where to find help on our Alerts and Information Page due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

El poder judicial de Utah está comprometido a la administración de justicia de una manera abierta, justa y eficiente bajo la ley. En nuestra página Información y alertas encontrará información importante sobre qué hacer en cuanto a su caso y dónde encontrar ayuda debido al impacto del brote de COVID-19.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

Choosing a Place for the Protected Person to Live

Guardianship and Conservatorship Home Page


For most of us, our daily routine consists of eating, dressing, bathing, and getting to and from home, work, or school, recreation when there is time and money, and caring for other personal needs. But what of the protected person who is unable to perform these activities to some extent or who depends totally on others? The following table is a brief guide to the residence options available. When making a decision about where the protected person will live, keep in mind

  • where the protected person wants to live;
  • what s/he can afford; and
  • where s/he will be safe and receiving appropriate care and support.

Some residence options may not be available in all communities.


Level of Assistance Needed

Possible Funding Sources

Independent Living
Lives in own home or rental unit or subsidized housing.; Lives alone or with spouse, adult children, others.

May require in-home services such as assistance with activities of daily living, home health care, care management, specialized transportation, home delivered meals, etc.

  • Area Agency on Aging
  • Medicaid
  • Private pay
  • Programs for individuals with disabilities
  • Housing may be subsidized by HUD
  • VA

Residential Home
Residential facility designed to serve adults with chronic disabilities. These homes usually have six or fewer occupants and are staffed 24-hours a day by trained caregivers.

Continual assistance with activities of daily living and supervision. May require management if behavior is dangerous to self or others, such as aggression or tendency to run away.

  • Medicaid
  • Mental health funding
  • Private pay
  • Programs for individuals with disabilities
  • VA

Assisted Living
Residential facility designed to serve adults who need 24-hour supervision, but not the 24-hour medical care provided by a nursing home. Range in size from small residential house to large facility.

Supervision or assistance with activities of daily living.; Coordination of services.; Medication management by trained staff.

  • Medicaid
  • Private pay
  • VA

Skilled Nursing Facility
Residential facility designed to serve adults who are chronically ill or recuperating, need continuous nursing care and other health services, but not hospitalization.

Person needs trained staff for help with activities of daily living, medication management, or supervision and nursing care.

  • Medicaid
  • Medicare (limited to short-term rehabilitative services)
  • Private pay
  • VA

Rehabilitation Center
Often a part of a Skilled Nursing Facility. Short-term residence.

Physical therapy and other care during transition to another residential setting.

  • Medicaid
  • Medicare (limited to short-term rehabilitative services)
  • Private pay
  • VA

Intermediate Care Facility for Intellectual Disabilities
Institution for the treatment, rehabilitation, supervision of people with intellectual disabilities.

A protected residential setting with supervision, rehabilitation, evaluation, or care planning

  • Medicaid
  • Private pay
  • Programs for individuals with disabilities

Provides medical care for people who are ill or injured.

Individual requires 24-hour care for a physical illness or injury

  • Insurance
  • Private pay
  • Medicare
  • Medicaid
  • other public programs
  • VA

Mental Health Institution
Hospitals specializing in treatment of serious mental illness.

Individual needs psychiatric treatment and therapy. While patients may be admitted on a voluntary basis, involuntary commitment is required when a person poses a danger to themselves or others.

  • Insurance
  • Private pay
  • Medicaid
  • VA

Staying at home

The house or apartment itself should be safe and habitable. If the protected person is renting, make sure the landlord makes any repairs required by law. If the protected person would be safe at home, but needs help, consider arranging for someone to perform those everyday tasks that the protected person cannot do for himself or herself.

Residential care

If the protected person does not want to live at home, is no longer safe at home or does not have the money or support to do so, it may be necessary to move to a more protected setting. Consult with the protected person's healthcare providers and other professionals for recommendations concerning placement in a facility that will best meet the protected person's needs. For a brief description of the options, see the table above.

A pet may be extremely important to the protected person, and the protected person may want to keep the pet or at least have regular visits. Some facilities allow residents to keep pets or to have visits by pets. If the pet cannot live with the protected person, arrange for shelter, food, water, exercise and medical care for the pet.

Following admission, try to visit the protected person regularly. Speak with the protected person privately so s/he can inform you of any problems with the living situation. Consult with staff to make sure that:

  • the protected person's needs are met;
  • s/he is eating well;
  • s/he is getting the correct medicine and medical care; and
  • if s/he wants, is participating in activities.

Residents of facilities have rights established by law. You can talk to the owner or the administrator of the care facility about your concerns or to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman. The ombudsman is a person who visits residents in residential care facilities, listens to their concerns and complaints and tries to solve the problems.

Simply keeping others involved in the protected person's life is a guard against abuse, neglect and financial exploitation. Isolation increases the risk of harm. Even if a facility is licensed and highly rated, it is still possible for the protected person to be abused, neglected or financially exploited. For more information about the warning signs of abuse, neglect — including self neglect — and exploitation, see our training manual for volunteer court visitors: Protected Person's Well-being.

Call Adult Protective Services (APS) if you think the protected person has been abused, neglected or financially exploited. Call 911 if the circumstances are life-threatening.

Changing residence

You do not need the court's permission to move the protected person to another residence within Utah, but you must notify the court that you are doing so and provide the court with the protected person's new address. You must also notify the other interested persons. Utah Code Section 75-5-312. There are no forms to report a change in residence; a letter or email will do. Address it to the clerk of the court that appointed you. Be sure to identify the case number and the protected person's name. Send a copy to the interested persons.

You must also notify the court if you move. Rule of Civil Procedure 76 .

You do need the court's permission to transfer the guardianship and conservatorship to another county within Utah or to another state. For more information, see our page on Moving a Guardianship or Conservatorship.

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 6/5/2020
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×