Special Findings for At-Risk Noncitizen Child (SIJ)

Page Menu

You can use the forms on this page to start the process of applying for Special Immigrant Juvenile classification (SIJ). There are two major pieces to aply for SIJ:

  1. Apply for special findings with the Utah Juvenile Court (read below)
  2. Once you have special findings, apply for SIJ through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Servicese (USCIS). 

You need the special findings from the court first. The information and forms on this page can help you with this step. 

Who can apply for special findings?

You can apply for special findings if:

  • you are not married
  • you are under 21 years old and you are not a U.S. citizen. 
  • your health, safety, or welfare has been at risk. For example, you may have been abused, abandoned, or neglected.
  • being returned to your home country would harm you. For example, you may be at risk of abuse, neglect, or have no caretakers in your home country.

Utah Code 80-3-505

How does this help me?

You can use the form to ask the juvenile court to make special findings that may help you get legal status to remain in the country. 

The special findings may allow you to apply for legal status under the Special Immigrant Juvenile Status program through USCIS. This program helps at-risk, unmarried immigrant juveniles get legal status.

The judge will review your petition and evidence. If the judge agrees your health, safety or welfare is at risk, the judge will make special findings. 

If you have questions about applying for legal status, talk to a legal professional to see if you might qualify and should apply. See our finding legal help page for more information.

What is the process?

  1. Fill out these forms:
    • 1138XX
    • 1300JU
  2. File the petition with the juvenile court in the county where you live. See the court directory for court information.
  3. The court will schedule a hearing. Make sure you attend the hearing. Bring any proof you have that supports your petition. 
  4. The court will send notice of the hearing to the people you list in the petition.
  5. If approved, the court will create the special findings order for you. 
  6. Apply for SIJ through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If you are not sure how to do this, see our finding legal help page.