Notice: System maintenance will be performed this weekend beginning Friday, July 19, 2024, at 5:00 p.m. MST

Some or all areas of the website may be unavailable during this maintenance period.

Resources to Help Guardians and Conservators

Page Menu


Dialing 2-1-1 will connect callers to health, human, and community services statewide. 2-1-1 provides free information and referral on topics such as emergency food pantries, rental assistance, public health clinics, child care resources, support groups, legal aid, volunteer opportunities, and a variety of other non-profit and governmental agencies. For more information, see the 211 website.


Publications and websites


Aging & Disability Resource Connection (ADRC)

Aging & Disability Resource Connection

The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) initiative, a collaborative effort of the U.S. Administration on Community Living, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and Veterans Health Administration is designed to streamline access to long-term services and supports for older adults, people with disabilities and their families. ADRCs seek to create a coordinated and streamlined system providing clients a "one-stop shop" experience.


Office of Public Guardian

Office of Public Guardian

The Office of Public Guardian provides guardianship and conservatorship services to protected persons who have no other appropriate guardian. The Office provides general information and referral on community resources available to family guardians.


The aging network

Area Agencies on Aging

Area Agencies on Aging

Local Area Agencies on Aging provide a comprehensive variety of services to, and advocate for, the needs of persons 60 and older and caregivers in their areas. Area Agencies on Aging provide information and assistance and contract with a range of services providers — for example, in-home care, legal services, congregate and home-delivered meals, and transportation. There is no financial eligibility requirement for these services.

Utah Division of Aging and Adult Services


The disability network

Disability Law Center

Disability Law Center

205 N 400 W
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103

The Disability Law Center is a private, non-profit organization serving as Utah's protection and advocacy agency. The Center provides information and referral to services for persons with disabilities statewide. The DLC does not represent individuals in guardianship cases.

The Center's other mission is to enforce and strengthen laws that protect the opportunities, choices and rights of people with disabilities, in areas such as:

  • abuse and neglect in long term care facilities
  • accessibility
  • clients and applicants of vocational rehabilitation
  • education issues
  • housing discrimination
  • Medicaid or insurance denial of assistive technology
  • voting access

Centers for Independent Living

Centers for Independent Living

A center for independent living is a consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, non-residential private nonprofit agency that provides a variety of independent living services.

  • Information and referral
  • Independent living skills training
  • Individual and systems advocacy
  • Peer counseling

Division of Services for People with Disabilities

Division of Services for People with Disabilities

195 N 1950 W
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
TTY: 801-538-4192


Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health


Residential services

One of the most difficult tasks for a guardian may be finding the right living arrangements for the individual. Factors will include cost, Medicaid or insurance coverage, VA benefits, time factors, including hospital discharge, proximity to friends and relatives, services and amenities offered, and quality of care. If you encounter problems with the long-term care of a protected person, the following resources may be helpful. Be sure to contact the program coordinator before making a complaint or initiating any action.

Search for living arrangements

The Utah Department of Health, Health Facility Licensing, Certification and Resident Assessment lists residential facilities.

These commercial websites also help find living arrangements:

Medicare and Medicaid facility comparisons

The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) provides detailed information about the performance of the following Medicare and Medicaid certified facility types:

  • Nursing homes
  • Home health agency
  • Hospitals
  • End stage renal dialysis

To compare facilities, click here.

Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Long-Term Care Ombudsman

Protected persons retain important rights even when they reside in a long term care facility. The long-term care ombudsman will advocate for residents 60 and older of nursing homes, assisted living, and other adult care facilities. They work to resolve problems of individual residents.

You may give the contact information for the Utah Long-term Care Ombudsman to the guardian who has encountered problems with long-term care facilities. If the guardian is not taking action concerning poor quality of care, your report to the court might suggest contacting the ombudsman program.



Medicaid is a state-run program that provides healthcare payment for individuals and families with low income. It is the largest source of funding for medical services for people with limited incomes in the nation. Medicaid is also the largest payer for long-term care. Medicaid covers nursing home care for individuals who are eligible financially and who also meet the state's level of care requirements. In Utah, Medicaid also helps to support assisted living care in limited circumstances. The Utah Medicaid agency is:

Division of Medicaid and Health Financing

288 N 1460 W
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116


Social Security Administration (SSA)

The Social Security Administration field offices are SSA's primary point for face-to-face contact with the public. Field offices provide information, make determinations about eligibility, issue Social Security numbers and cards, take applications and determine eligibility for Medicare, and much more.

Social Security Office Locator

Utah Social Security Office
175 E 400 S, Suite 500
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111


Veterans benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs provides a wide range of benefits, including disability, education and training, vocational rehabilitation and employment, home loan guaranty, dependant and survivor benefits, medical treatment, prescription drugs, aid and attendance, life insurance, and burial benefits.


Legal resources

A guardian may need a lawyer to provide legal advice or to advocate on behalf of the protected person. Individuals who are financially eligible can receive legal services through legal aid or legal services programs. In addition, under the Older Americans Act, there are special programs of legal assistance for older people who are "in the greatest social and economic need." For those not eligible for such legal programs, there are many private lawyers who focus on assisting elders or individuals with disabilities.