CJA11-0401. Standing Committee on Appellate Representation and the Appellate Roster. The amendments to Rule 11-401 simplify committee composition, clarify roster application requirements, increase roster term limits, and address the creation of the Indigent Appellate Defense Division.
CJA11-0401. Standing Committee on Appellate Representation and the Appellate Roster. Amend.
URAP038B. Qualifications for Appointed Appellate Counsel. Amend.
URAP058. Ruling. Amend.
- Updates terminology in Rule 11-401 to address legislative changes;
- Addresses in Rule 11-401 the addition to the Appellate Roster of appeals of private parental termination cases from the district court;
- Adds a mentoring provision to Rule 11-401;
- Adds a rolling admissions provision to Rule 11-401;
- Addresses in Rule 11-401 the Indigent Defense Commission’s role with the committee;
- Merges the provisions of Appellate Rule 38B into Rule 11-401;
- Addresses in Rules 38B and 11-401 the role of attorneys’ contracts with government entities to represent indigent individuals on appeal prior to Rule 11-401’s adoption;
- Addresses the tension between Rule 55 and the child welfare appellate roster in Rule 58;
- Adds transparency to the Appellate Roster vetting process; and
- Amends the Appellate Roster reconsideration process.
CJA11-0401. Standing Committee on Appellate Representation. Amend. Updates the definition of “legal defender’s office.” Effective October 29, 2018 pursuant to CJA Rule 11-105(5), expedited rulemaking.
CJA011-0401 New Rule 11-401: To establish a standing committee to assist the Board of Appellate Court Judges to determine a roster of attorneys eligible for appointment to represent indigent parties on appeal to the Utah Supreme Court and the Utah Court of Appeals.