Print Version
Previous PageFile uploaded: 10/30/2015

Rule 100. Coordination of cases pending in district court and juvenile court.

(a) Notice to the court. In a case in whichchild custody, child support or parent time is an issue, all parties have acontinuing duty to notify the court:

(a)(1) of a case inwhich a party or the party's child is a party to or the subject of a petitionor order involving child custody, child support or parent time;

(a)(2) of acriminal or delinquency case in which a party or the party's child is adefendant or respondent;

(a)(3) of aprotective order case involving a party regardless whether a child of the partyis involved.

The notice shall be filed with a party'sinitial pleading or as soon as practicable after the party becomes aware of theother case. The notice shall include the case caption, file number and name ofthe judge or commissioner in the other case.

(b) Communication among judges andcommissioners. The judge or commissioner assigned to a case in which child custody,child support or parent time is an issue shall communicate and consult with anyother judge or commissioner assigned to any other pending case involving thesame issues and the same parties or their children. The objective of thecommunication is to consider the feasibility of consolidating the cases before one judge or commissioner or of coordinating hearingsand orders.

(c) Participation of parties. The judges andcommissioners may allow the parties to participate in the communication. If theparties have not participated in the communication, the parties shall be givennotice and the opportunity to present facts and arguments before a decision toconsolidate the cases.

(d) Consolidation of cases.

(d)(1) The court may consolidate caseswithin a county under Rule 42.

(d)(2) The court may transfer a case to thecourt of another county with venue or to the court of any county in accordancewith Utah Code Section 78B-3-309.

(d)(3) If the district court and juvenilecourt have concurrent jurisdiction over cases, either court may transfer a caseto the other court upon the agreement of the judges or commissioners assignedto the cases.

(e) Judicial reassignment. A judge may hearand determine a case in another court or district upon assignment in accordancewith CJA Rule 3-108(3).