Utah Rules of Civil Procedure
Utah Rules of Civil Procedure
Search the Utah Rules of Civil Procedure
Part I Scope of Rules - One Form of Action
- Rule 1 General provisions.
- Rule 1 General provisions. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 2 One form of action.
Part II Commencement of Action; Service of Process, Pleadings, Motions and Orders
- Rule 3 Commencement of action.
- Rule 4 Process.
- Rule 5 Service and filing of pleadings and other papers.
- Rule 6 Time.
Part III Pleadings, Motions, and Orders
- Rule 7 Pleadings allowed; motions, memoranda, hearings, orders.
- Rule 8 General rules of pleadings.
- Rule 8 General rules of pleadings. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 9 Pleading special matters.
- Rule 9 Pleading special matters. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 10 Form of pleadings and other papers.
- Rule 11 Signing of pleadings, motions, and other papers; representations to court; sanctions.
- Rule 12 Defenses and objections.
- Rule 13 Counterclaim and cross-claim.
- Rule 14 Third-party practice.
- Rule 15 Amended and supplemental pleadings.
- Rule 16 Pretrial conferences.
- Rule 16 Pretrial conferences. (superseded 11/1/2011)
Part IV Parties
- Rule 17 Parties plaintiff and defendant.
- Rule 18 Joinder of claims and remedies.
- Rule 19 Joinder of persons needed for just adjudication.
- Rule 20 Permissive joinder of parties.
- Rule 21 Misjoinder and non-joinder of parties.
- Rule 22 Interpleader.
- Rule 23 Class actions.
- Rule 23A Derivative actions by shareholders.
- Rule 24 Intervention.
- Rule 25 Substitution of parties.
Part V Depositions and Discovery
- Rule 26 General provisions governing disclosure and discovery.
- Rule 26 General provisions governing disclosure and discovery. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 26.1 Disclosure in domestic relations actions.
- Rule 26.2. Disclosures in personal injury actions.
- Rule 26.3. Disclosure in unlawful detainer actions.
- Rule 27 Depositions before action or pending appeal.
- Rule 28 Persons before whom depositions may be taken.
- Rule 29 Stipulations regarding disclosure and discovery procedure.
- Rule 29 Stipulations regarding disclosure and discovery procedure. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 30 Depositions upon oral questions.
- Rule 30 Depositions upon oral questions. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 31 Depositions upon written questions.
- Rule 31 Depositions upon written questions. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 32 Use of depositions in court proceedings.
- Rule 33 Interrogatories to parties.
- Rule 33 Interrogatories to parties. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 34 Production of documents and things and entry upon land for inspection and other purposes.
- Rule 34 Production of documents and things and entry upon land for inspection and other purposes. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 35 Physical and mental examination of persons.
- Rule 35 Physical and mental examination of persons. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 36 Request for admission.
- Rule 36 Request for admission. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 37 Statement of discovery issues; Sanctions; Failure to admit, to attend deposition or to preserve evidence.
- Rule 37 Discovery and disclosure motions; Sanctions. (superseded 11/1/2011)
Part VI Trials
- Rule 38 Jury trial of right.
- Rule 39 Trial by jury or by the court.
- Rule 40 Assignment of cases for trial; continuance.
- Rule 41 Dismissal of actions.
- Rule 42 Consolidation; separate trials.
- Rule 43 Evidence.
- Rule 44 Proof of official record.
- Rule 45 Subpoena.
- Rule 46 Exceptions unnecessary.
- Rule 47 Jurors.
- Rule 48 Juries of less than eight - Majority verdict.
- Rule 49 Special verdicts and interrogatories.
- Rule 50 Motion for a directed verdict and for judgment notwithstanding the verdict.
- Rule 51 Instructions to jury; objections.
- Rule 52 Findings by the court; correction of the record.
- Rule 53 Masters.
Part VII Judgment
- Rule 54 Judgments; costs.
- Rule 54 Judgments; costs. (superseded 11/1/2011)
- Rule 55 Default.
- Rule 56 Summary judgment.
- Rule 57 Declaratory judgments.
- Rule 58A Entry of judgment; abstract of judgment.
- Rule 58B Satisfaction of judgment.
- Rule 58C Motion to renew judgment.
- Rule 59 New trials; amendments of judgment.
- Rule 60 Relief from judgment or order.
- Rule 61 Harmless error.
- Rule 62 Stay of proceedings to enforce a judgment.
- Rule 63 Disability or disqualification of a judge.
- Rule 63A Change of judge as a matter of right.
Part VIII Provisional and Final Remedies and Special Proceedings
- Rule 64 Writs in general.
- Rule 64A Prejudgment writs in general.
- Rule 64B Writ of replevin.
- Rule 64C Writ of attachment.
- Rule 64D Writ of garnishment.
- Rule 64E Writ of execution.
- Rule 64F REPEALED.
- Rule 64G REPEALED.
- Rule 65A Injunctions.
- Rule 65B Extraordinary relief.
- Rule 65C Post-conviction relief.
- Rule 66 Receivers.
- Rule 67 Deposit in court.
- Rule 68 Settlement offers.
- Rule 69 REPEALED.
- Rule 69A Seizure of property.
- Rule 69B Sale of property; delivery of property.
- Rule 69C Redemption of real property after sale.
- Rule 70 Judgment for specific acts; vesting title.
- Rule 71 Process in behalf of and against persons not parties.
- Rule 71B REPEALED.
- Rule 72. Property bonds.
Part IX Attorneys
- Rule 73. Attorney fees.
- Rule 74 Withdrawal of counsel.
- Rule 75 Limited appearance.
- Rule 76 Notice of contact information change.
Part X District courts and clerks
- Rule 77 District courts and clerks.
- Rule 78 REPEALED.
- Rule 79 REPEALED.
- Rule 80 REPEALED.
Part XI General Provisions
- Rule 81 Applicability of rules in general.
- Rule 82 Jurisdiction and venue unaffected.
- Rule 83 Vexatious litigants.
- Rule 84 Forms.
- Rule 85 Title.
Part XII Family Law
- Rule 100. Coordination of cases pending in district court and juvenile court.
- Rule 101. Motion practice before court commissioners.
- Rule 102. Motion and order for payment of costs and fees.
- Rule 103 REPEALED.
- Rule 104. Divorce decree upon affidavit.
- Rule 105. Shortening 90 day waiting period in domestic matters.
- Rule 106. Modification of final domestic relations order.
- Rule 107. Decree of adoption; Petition to open adoption records.
- Rule 108. Objection to court commissioner's recommendation.
The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.