Rule6-101. The Board of District Court Judges.
To establish the Board of District CourtJudges.
This rule shall apply to the Board ofDistrict Court Judges.
Statement of the Rule:
(1) There is hereby established a Board ofDistrict Court Judges.
(2) Members of the Board shall be elected bythe district court judges present at the district court business meeting at theannual judicial conference. The judges present at this meeting shall constitutea quorum. Nominations may be made only by district court judges, and must comefrom the judicial district or districts in which the vacancy exists.
(3) The Board shall consist of the followingten positions:
(3)(A) one from theFirst Judicial District;
(3)(B) two from theSecond Judicial District;
(3)(C) three fromthe Third Judicial District;
(3)(D) two from theFourth Judicial District;
(3)(E) two from theFifth, Sixth, Seventh or Eighth Judicial District.
(4) Members of the Board shall servestaggered three-year terms or until a Board member is replaced or resigns.
(5) There shall be a Chair and Vice Chair ofthe Board selected from among the Board. The Vice Chair shall be elected by theBoard members and shall be in the first or second year of a three-year term.The Vice Chair shall serve as Chair in the absence of the Chair or at therequest of the Chair.
(6) The Vice Chair shall become Chair of theBoard during the second or third year of a three-year term. The Chair shallpreside over all meetings of the Board and over the annual district courtbusiness meeting.
(7) If a vacancy occurs for any reasonbetween annual district court business meetings, the Board shall elect areplacement for the unexpired term of the vacancy. The Board shall adhere tothe district makeup of the Board in this selection.
(8) Should the Chair of the Board resign orleave the Board for any reason, the Vice Chair shall become Chair, serving boththe unexpired term of the Chair and full term as Chair.
(9) In the event that the Vice Chair of theBoard resigns or leaves the Board for any reason a new Vice Chair shall beselected by the Board from among its members to serve the unexpired term of theVice Chair.
(10) The Board shall meet a minimum of onceevery two months to transact any and all business that is within itsjurisdiction.
(11) The Board shall act by majority vote.All members of the Board have the right to vote. Six members of the Boardconstitute a quorum.
(12) When a Board member is unable to attenda Board meeting, that member may designate a district judge, from the samedistrict or districts represented by the absent member, to attend the meetingon behalf of the absent member. The substitute judge shall be provided with acopy of the agenda and other meeting materials, may attend the open and closed sessionsof the meeting, and may participate in the discussion of agenda items. However,the substitute judge may not make motions or vote on Board issues.
(13) Board meetings shall be conducted inaccordance with Robert's Rules of Order.
(14) All business conducted by the Boardshall be conducted in accordance with this Code.