To establishthe criteria for the appointment of justice court judges to preside at firstappearances, preliminary hearings and arraignments.
This rule shallapply to the district and the justice courts.
Statement ofthe Rule:
(1) Thepresiding district court judge may appoint a justice court judge to preside ata first appearance, preliminary hearing or arraignment if:
(A) the justicecourt judge consents to the appointment; and
(B) the justicecourt judge has either completed a course in the conducting of firstappearances, preliminary hearings and arraignments, or has presided over atleast five first appearances, preliminary hearings and arraignments prior tothe effective date of this rule.
(2) A justicecourt judge may only accept a plea of not guilty, or not guilty by reason ofinsanity.
(3) The JusticeCourt Administrator shall maintain a list of those justice court judges whomeet the qualifications set forth in paragraph (1)(B) above.
(4) Theadministrative office shall offer courses in the conducting of firstappearances, preliminary hearings and arraignments, and shall pay the expensesof justice court judges attending such courses not offered in conjunction withthe annual justice court judges conference.
(5) Hearingsconducted pursuant to this rule shall be conducted on the record.