To provide consistency in the establishment of the Victims' Rights Committees in accordance with Utah Code Ann. Section 77-37-5.
To establish the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice as the responsible agency for the development of policies and procedures which govern the operation of the Victims' Rights Committees.
This rule shall apply to the judiciary and the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice.
Statement of the Rule:
(1) On or before July 1st of each odd-numbered year, the presiding judge of the district court in each judicial district shall appoint the chair of the Victims' Rights Committee for that judicial district.
(2) The chair of the committee shall have experience in and knowledge of the criminal justice system and shall have an interest in the rights of victims and witnesses. The chair shall not be a member of the judiciary or be employed by the judicial branch of government.
(3) On or before September 1st of each odd-numbered year, the chair shall appoint the members of the Victims' Rights Committee. Members shall consist of: a county attorney, a sheriff, a corrections field services administrator, a juvenile court representative, an appointed victim advocate, a municipal attorney, a municipal chief of police and other representatives as appropriate. Members shall have experience in and knowledge of the criminal justice system and shall have an interest in the rights of victims and witnesses.
(4) The chair may succeed himself or herself at the discretion of the presiding judge. The members of the committee may succeed themselves at the discretion of the chair.
(5) The Committee shall act as a clearinghouse to distribute and standardize information relevant to victims of crime and the services available to them within the judicial district. It shall assume a leadership role in developing an educational program for the public as well as professionals who provide services to victims. Victims who have complaints may submit them in writing to the Committee. The Committee will note them for informational purposes and then forward them to the appropriate agency for action. Minutes of the Committee meetings shall be forwarded to the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice for distribution to local Committees on a statewide basis. The Commission shall also provide minutes of the meetings of the Governor's Council on Victims to the local Committees.