Rule 1-204. Executive committees.
To establish executive committees of the Council.
To identify the responsibility and authority of the executive committees.
To identify the membership and composition of the executive committees.
To establish procedures for executive committee meetings.
This rule shall apply to the judiciary.
Statement of the Rule:
(1) The following executive committees of the Council are hereby established: (a) the Management Committee; (b) the Policy and Planning Committee; and (c) the Liaison Committee.
(2) The Management Committee shall be comprised of at least four Council members, one of whom shall be the Presiding Officer of the Council. Three Committee members constitute a quorum. The Presiding Officer of the Council or Presiding Officer's designee shall serve as the Chair. When at least three members concur, the Management Committee is authorized to act on behalf of the entire Council when the Council is not in session and to act on any matter specifically delegated to the Management Committee by the Council. The Management Committee is responsible for managing the agenda of the Council consistently with Rule 2-102 of this Code. The Management Committee is responsible for deciding procurement protest appeals.
(3) The Policy and Planning Committee shall recommend to the Council new and amended rules for the Code of Judicial Administration and the Human Resource Policies and Procedures Manual. The committee shall recommend to the Council periodic and long term planning efforts as necessary for the efficient administration of justice. The committee shall research and make recommendations regarding any matter referred by the Council.
(4) The Liaison Committee shall recommend to the Council legislation to be sponsored by the Council. The committee shall review legislation affecting the authority, jurisdiction, organization or administration of the judiciary. When the exigencies of the legislative process preclude full discussion of the issues by the Council, the Committee may endorse or oppose the legislation, take no position or offer amendments on behalf of the Council.
(5) Members of the executive committees must be members of the Council. Each executive committee shall consist of at least three members appointed by the Council to serve at its pleasure. The members of the Policy and Planning Committee and the Liaison Committee shall elect their respective chairs annually and select a new chair at least once every two years.
(6) Each committee shall meet as often as necessary to perform its responsibilities, but a minimum of four times per year. Each committee shall report to the Council as necessary.
(7) The Administrative Office shall serve as the secretariat to the executive committees.