Utah Courts



The Utah Judiciary is committed to the open, fair, and efficient administration of justice under the law. Find important information on what to do about your case and where to find help on our Alerts and Information Page due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak.

El poder judicial de Utah está comprometido a la administración de justicia de una manera abierta, justa y eficiente bajo la ley. En nuestra página Información y alertas encontrará información importante sobre qué hacer en cuanto a su caso y dónde encontrar ayuda debido al impacto del brote de COVID-19.

Home Page
Previous Page

Finding Legal Help

You are not required to hire an attorney, but legal matters can be complicated. Consider talking to an attorney to go over your options. See the Finding Legal Help page for information about free and low cost ways to get legal help. 

Como encontrar ayuda legal

Usted no está obligado a contratar un abogado, pero los asuntos legales pueden ser complicados. Considere la posibilidad de hablar con un abogado para hablar de sus opciones. Para información sobre cómo obtener ayuda legal vea nuestra página Como encontrar ayuda legal.

4th District Juvenile Court - Victims

"I have been victimized by a juvenile. What happens next?"


After the police have responded to an incident, they write a report. If they determine the charges are serious enough, they will prepare a referral and send it, along with a copy of the report, to the Juvenile Court. If an investigation is required to resolve the crime, it may take longer for the referral to be sent to the court. The court can give you no information about the case until the report has been received from the police. The police case number is not the same as a Juvenile Court case number. It can only be used to request information from the Police Department.


Once the police referral has been received, it is processed by the court. It is assigned to a probation officer according to the geographical location of the juvenile's residence. If the police report indicates that there are possible restitution issues, a letter is sent to the victim requesting this information. This letter should be received by you (the victim) approximately four weeks from the time of the incident. This may vary depending upon the amount of time it takes the referral to reach the court. Make sure your name and address are correct on the police report. If you do not receive a letter from the court within six weeks of the incident, you may call the court and request information on the status of your case. In a few instances, you may receive more than one letter from the court. Please respond to each one.


When you receive the letter from the court, please make note of the case number and the name of the Probation officer. Keep this for future reference. If you have questions or concerns, call this officer to discuss your case.


  • Send copies of repair bills and estimates
  • Keep the orginials You may request the replacement value of items that were destroyed, not the original cost
  • If you have insurance and the items are covered, you should only request the amount of your deductible
  • You may not claim your own labor, pain or suffering or time off work
  • You may not request restitution for items that have been recovered (undamaged). These items will be released by the police after the court hearing. Contact the Probation officer handling your case to arrange for this release
  • If you have medical bills, you may be eligible for advance compensation through Crime Victim's Reparations (1-800-621-7400)


Once the case has been through court, you should receive a letter indicating the amount of restitution ordered and the due date. If more than one juvenile was charged with the crime, then the restitution amount will be divided among them. You should receive a letter for each juvenile. If the amounts of all the letters you receive do not add up to the total restitution you requested, contact the Probation officer assigned to your case to have it researched.

Unless other arrangements have be made, the juvenile will make his restitution payments to the court. Each time a payment is made, a check will be made out to the victim. It takes the court three to four weeks to process these payments.

Juveniles who are under 16 can work for the court on the Work Restitution program. The hours they work are credited to their restitution at $4 an hour. There is a lifetime maximum limit of $500 for each juvenile to earn on this program.

Sometimes restitution can be ordered without a court hearing. The juvenile will make an agreement with his/her probation officer to take care of the matter. This will be tracked by the probation officer. If they fail to comply, it will then be set for court.


One option the Judge may suggest is Mediation. In Mediation, the victim and the juvenile meet together to discuss the offense and come to a mutually agreeable solution. If the Judge suggests this option, you will be contacted to see if you are willing to be involved in the process. All parties must agree to meet. If they do not, the matter is taken back to the Judge for disposition. You can also talk to the Probation Officer in charge of your case about the mediation option.


If the account goes overdue, the collections clerk sends out a notice. She may work out a payment plan to help them meet their obligations. If they still do not pay, they are set for court to explain to a judge why they are non-compliant. The judge may extend the due date, if it is warranted, or add additional penalties, including time in detention. The juvenile's driver's license can be suspended also. If he/she turns 18 without completing payment, their State income tax return can be garnished.

We make every attempt possible to hold juveniles responsible for their court obligations, but be aware that large amounts of restitution can take time to collect.

You have the right to file civil charges against the juvenile if you choose. However, we will suspend our efforts to collect restitution if you choose this route.

Collections Questions: 354-7230.

For more information contact:

4th District Juvenile Court
137 N Freedom Blvd. Suite 150
Provo, UT 84601
(801) 354-7200

The Utah State Courts mission is to provide the people an open, fair, efficient, and independent system for the advancement of justice under the law.

Page Last Modified: 2/8/2019
Return to Top

Facebook YouTube Twitter RSS Feeds

Close ×