Rule 5-203. Transcript format.
To establish a uniform transcript format as required by the Utah Code.
This rule shall apply to all transcripts of a court proceeding.
Statement of the Rule:
A transcript of proceedings in Utah courts shall be formatted as follows:
(1) Paper size: 8 ½ inches x 11 inches.
(2) Paper weight: At least 13 pounds for original and copies.
(3) The transcript shall consist of the title page, index pages, transcript pages and certificate pages.
(4) Lines of text on transcript pages shall be double spaced and numbered.
(5) All pages shall be numbered at the bottom right corner of the page.
(6) Each transcript shall contain 25 lines of text except the final transcript page, which may contain fewer lines.
(7) Each line of text shall contain 63 characters or columns, filled or unfilled.
(8) Text shall be 12-point plain font text except for words normally italicized or underlined.
(9) Indentations shall be as follows:
(9)(A) "Q" and "A" designations. All "Q" and "A" designations shall begin at the fifth column. A period following the "Q" and "A" designation is optional. The statement following the "Q" or "A" designation shall begin at the tenth column. Subsequent lines shall begin at the left margin.
(9)(B) Colloquy. Speaker identification shall begin at the tenth column followed directly by a colon. The statement shall begin on the third column after the colon. Subsequent lines shall begin at the left margin.
(9)(C) Quotations. Quoted material shall begin at the tenth column, with additional quoted lines beginning at the tenth column, with appropriate quotation marks used.
(9)(D) Parentheses. Parenthetical notations shall begin with an open parenthesis at the tenth column with the remark beginning on the eleventh column. Parentheses are used for customary statements such as recesses, adjournments and admission of exhibits. Subsequent lines contained in parenthetical notations shall begin at the tenth column.