« New Book: The Citizen's Almanac | Main | Wireless Password: turfs »

Modifying Child Custody Orders

custody.bmpCustody of minor children is a major issue in many family law cases. Custody orders may be issued by the district or juvenile court. Custody may be established by the court as a separate action or as part of a number of different types of cases, including divorce, paternity, protective orders, or neglect and dependency.

Sometimes parents find it necessary to ask the court to modify an existing custody order. A custody order can be modified if the court determines that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances since the the controlling order was made and that the change in custody would be an improvement for and in the best interest of the minor child.

Information and forms for modification of child custody are now available on the court website.


TrackBack URL for this entry:

Post a comment

(If you haven't left a comment here before, you may need to be approved by the site owner before your comment will appear. Until then, it won't appear on the entry. Thanks for waiting.)