As the victim of a crime committed by a juvenile, you are likely to have questions about the services available to you from the Juvenile Court. The Rights of Crime Victims Act, passed by the Utah Legislature in 1994, gives a crime victim certain rights. These include the right to be treated with courtesy and respect, the right to a speedy disposition of your case, and the right to restitution for loss. The following information explains these rights and some of the court processes.

If the police report on your case names you as a victim and the juvenile offender is caught, you will receive a letter from the victim advocate or juvenile probation officer assigned to the case. This is the person you should contact with questions about the course of the case, and about your rights and role in the court process. The advocate's or probation officer's phone number is listed on the letter so you will know where to call.

Restitution (the amount to be repaid)

A letter will be sent to you that asks you to document your financial loss. It is important to complete the form as quickly and accurately as possible. If exact costs are not available then estimates may be provided.

Whenever possible the juvenile will be required to pay you restitution for your loss. Often, the juvenile is placed on a court work crew to earn the money to repay you. Unless the juvenile has been ordered (or has agreed) to pay you directly, a check will be sent to you from the court as the juvenile either pays into or earns money towards his or her account.

The court makes every effort to assist the juvenile to pay restitution. At times the juveniles do not comply, may become involved in the adult system or move and cannot be found, all of which make obtaining all of your money in a timely manner extremely difficult. Regardless, the court will continue to try and recover your restitution. It is important that you tell the court if you move so that you can continue to receive payments.